Stats

Saturday, December 06, 2014

Letter from Espargal: 5 December 2014

This week the rain went away and temperatures fell.

Although we don't get frost up here on the hill (as opposed to down in the valley) it feels icy when the wind howls down from Siberia. As so often, we bless the fire.

The evening schedule, once we've walked the dogs, is to turn on the radio news, pour drinks, feed the beasts, light the fire and then settle down near it to reflect on the day and see what's on TV.

It's a rare night when there's nothing worthwhile to watch.

At times, after a particularly demanding day, I have been known to nod off in front of the fire.

This unflattering picture of me (most pictures of me are unflattering) was taken by Jones as Bobby and I enjoyed a brief mutual evening doze on the couch. (You can just see the top of his head on my lap.)

Jones says she took it to illustrate that even when asleep, I carefully grasp my glass. So I should, for it contained an outstanding whisky given to me by our neighbours, the Cusacks.

Saturday the "boys" returned as usual to add another ten metres to the wall (that now encompasses the Leonilde field).

The wall brings me a glow of satisfaction each time I pass it. It is a most beautiful wall.

In fact, as I remarked to Jones, it is the most beautiful thing I have ever built, "I" being used in the sense that the queen uses "we".

It has another 40 metres or so to run along the base of the adjoining Graca field.

At that point I believe the wall will become Espargal's second attraction after the Roman well at the bottom of the village.

Sunday passed into oblivion. I have reached the stage when I can generally recall what we did today, struggle to remember yesterday's events and haven't the foggiest what happened the day before.

There is so little to distinguish one day from another!

Monday we received a "please help" message from Marisa at the dog sanctuary. They were virtually out of food. After dropping Jones in town to do May's shopping, I took an emergency supply up to the kennels. Marisa was very grateful.

I scolded her for leaving her appeal to the last minute. She had planned to go shopping herself that morning, she explained, but had to take a sick dog to the vet instead.

It was May's 84th birthday. She was in excellent form over lunch, consuming her fried shrimps appreciatively and conversing with zest.

My English class was the last of the year. We talked about corruption and the fate of José Sócrates, who remains in preventive detention while his lawyers do their best to get him out.

Tuesday was a big day. We met at the notary at 3.30 to conclude the purchase of an apartment. After a long wait, eight of us crowded into the notary's office: Jones, Natasha, our lawyer, 3 estate agents, the (absent) vendors' lawyer and myself - plus, of course, the notary.

Proceedings were laborious. The notary throws the draft deed on a big screen and goes through it line

by line, checking names, marital states, dates and places of birth, documents, taxes paid and a great deal more. Whenever she has a doubt she questions one of the lawyers. She is very particular. Everything has to match up or the transaction falls through.

Dusk was falling as we all finally signed the contract. So Natasha is now the owner of a three-bedroom apartment. Or, put another way, she is now the owner of a mortgage and the occupant of the apartment.

Wednesday Natasha brought Roslan along with her. I set him to painting the gates. We have a lot of gates and iron railings. Roslan made good progress. If only I could communicate with him verbally, we could accomplish a lot more together.

Next we ran a car-load of dog-food out to the dog sanctuary before I attended an end-of-year lunch with my class. It was held in one of Loule's several large, canteen-like restaurants. My grilled turkey seemed to come from a pretty tough old bird.

IGNACIO

Ignacio, one of my pupils, is a keen hunter. Last Sunday, he said, he was with a party of 37 hunters who went to shoot wild boar in the Alentejo. Scores of dogs accompanied them. The hunters took up positions around a thicket while the clamouring dogs went in to chase the pigs out.

In the ensuing chaos, Ignacio told me, the party shot 19 boar. Six dogs were gored and had to be taken to the vet. The dead pigs were distributed among the grateful locals and the hunters' fridges.

Barbara was horrified to hear about it and expressed the hope that I had remonstrated with Ignacio. I hadn't.

I put to her his arguments that boar had to be kept in check because they damaged crops as well as increasing in number by 50% a year.

She was dubious and wanted proof. I didn't have any. I do know that the United States has a huge problem with feral pigs.

To be honest, I felt more for dogs than the pigs.

Also Wednesday the EDP called to raise May's electricity potential once again. We hoped fervently that this would put an end to the old lady's tripping electrics. But it seems that they tripped again later in the day and were restored by visiting friends.

Thursday we visited May ourselves. Her electrics were working but her TV wasn't. As the TV is May's constant companion, she wasn't pleased. Once again I turned on as many appliances as possible to see if they were tripping the system. They weren't but, after much fiddling around, we discovered that her two heaters were overloading the circuit they were on, causing it to crash from time to time.

May's Man Friday put in temporary repairs and promised to do a proper job later. He also got May's TV up and running again.

From there we continued to the dog sanctuary charity shop in Sao Bras, where I had business. Jones bought a fleece for €1.50 and a polar neck sweater for €2.00

Friday we came across a stray dog in the hills during our morning walk. We think it's a hunting dog that lost contact with its master. We let one of the local hunters know.

After haircuts in Loule, we drove to Faro so that I could obtain a second extension to my old driving licence - pending the arrival of my new licence - for which I applied in May. The system can be painfully slow.

Friday afternoon I inserted the newly received (second) printhead into my ailing Canon multi-function machine. Same problem. It wouldn't print black and white.

Evidently, the printhead is not the issue. What to do next! The nearest approved dealer is in Lisbon.

This evening we snapped pictures of the rising moon. Jones is really into her skies and particularly into the moon.

When she went to feed her waifs and strays, she came across the dog we'd spotted that morning.

It wouldn't come near her. She's put down water and some food. Oh dear!

Then we drove down the hill, fetched Michael Brown from the square and headed to Benafim for a final night dinner at the Hamburgo.

To our distress, the restaurant is closing for five weeks.

In the corner of the room, a large party of Portuguese sang folk songs before standing to toast each other.

It felt almost as though Christmas had arrived early, the kind of Christmas I could identify with. In my heart I was singing with them.








No comments:

Blog Archive