Stats

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Letter from Espargal: 20 February 2015

This week has denied me the opportunity to prepare a blog.

Here instead are a few pictures and reflections.

The boys returned last Saturday to complete a series of steps down the steep incline from the top gate to the park.

It's from this gate that we generally set out on our walks as it's the most distant from the rest of the village and leaves us in least danger of bumping into other people or - for that matter - the orphans, who are frequently on the loose.

On Monday I took the train to Lisbon where I dropped off my non-functioning Canon printer with the Canon agents. I await their quote to repair it.

Thence I myself repaired to the airport to meet Cathy and the two of us took the late afternoon train back to Loule.

Here she is on the couch with Bobby.

Bobby, like Ono, has a long and fond memory for previous guests and was very pleased to see her.

In her case Cathy brought me a bottle of whisky as a gift from Rolf, who is hiking in Majorca.

To express my appreciation, I sent him the adjacent picture.

While I am not much into birthdays or Christmas and all that stuff, I do find such expressions of family solidarity most acceptable.

Cathy was delighted to find the Algarve so full of colour after the winter bleakness of her native Berlin.

The almond blossom was a particular joy.

She stopped the car on the hillside overlooking the Nave de Barao valley to secure pictures of the almond trees below.

Little wonder then that almond cake and almond tart are everywhere to be found in the Algarve.

On Wednesday I nipped into hospital for a little attention to an injury that was reluctant to heal.

While the bed was capable of being contorted in every direction, the mattress left something to be desired.

The nursing staff were delightfully attentive.

In spite of their welcome attention, on Thursday, feeling restored, I left again.

On Friday we prepared to hitch up the trailer in order to purchase a couple more railings from Gilde's hardware store.

The intention is to curb young Houdini's daily escapes from the pen (in spite of all the precautions we have taken thus far).

We made the mistake of leaving the boot open while Raymond was about. For reasons I don't understand, he hops in and ABSOLUTELY refuses to hop out again.

Here we are trying to entice him out - in vain.

Once or twice I have tried to compel him to get out but he makes it clear that he will not move - and he's too big to argue with.

So there's no option but to leave him there until such time as he gets hungry or thirsty and gets out of his own accord.

Cathy spotted these orchids growing in the park.

Although we are blessed with a wonderful variety of such lovely flowers, very few have so far appeared.

Jonesy puts it down to the lack of rain.

But there's still time enough for them to bloom and the rain to fall.

Here Jones is ushering the dogs down the path during my brief absence.

I have never seen her carrying a stick before. She said it was to assert her authority in the event that the incumbents should bump into the orphans.

Happily, harmony appears to have reigned in my absence.

No comments:

Blog Archive