Stats

Friday, September 21, 2018

Letter from Espargal: 20 September 2018

Here follows a tale somewhat convoluted in parts, one from which you may opt out at any point and will probably want to.

CandleHolderPatched

Some time ago Barbara broke a tiny ceramic candle holder that she was using to hold saline solution used to clean Russ's ears. It was a memento of a long-ago trip to Austria, an object that had grown in nostalgic value over the years. She was upset. With some contact glue, paste and a deal of fiddling I was able to do a dubious Humpty Dumpty patch.

FunnyDesign-001

I then set about trying to find an identical replacement. The first task - with the assistance of a magnifying glass and camera - was to make out the minute inscription on the back -  Funny Design. Lengthy internet searches revealed only one seller - in the USA - offering identical models, a package of five that I bought on eBay for some $12. Postage, customs etc rather upped the price but not beyond the cost of a modest meal for two.

ParcelUSA-001

eBay, to its credit, sent me regular emails over the next few weeks detailing the progress of the parcel as it crept across the US, navigated the Atlantic, cleared customs and made it way to Spain. The Spanish couriers emailed me to say the item would be delivered by the Portuguese post office. It wasn't.

TBonBackMini

So I chased it up - in vain! The tracking service didn't track. The help-line didn't answer. The call-back service didn't call back. After some days I gave up the struggle. It was just too emotionally exhausting.

BJpatioDogs

Then out of the blue the post office called to say the parcel could be collected at its centre in Loule,  at which I duly presented myself. Jones has struck out my description of the zombie-like post office scene - limbo of the living dead - as too long. In short, I eventually got my package.

CandleHoldersCandles

Back home I introduced a replacement to Russ's ear cleaning equipment and set up the others with their accompanying candles on the bookshelf over Jones's desk. Jones is pleased although I am forbidden to repeat the exercise.

DCIM100MEDIADJI_0823.JPG

It turns out that the post office courier couldn't find the house although directions could have been obtained from any neighbour. Sigh!

PaintingCarPort

If you're still there, you should know that this mini-drama has not occupied the entire week. Among our accomplishments, Slavic and I removed the old curtaining from the sides of the carport and painted the structure.

CarPortPainted

The task required us to work around numerous creepers and shrubs. Jones is much happier with the open aspect. Decorations aside, we have spent long hours caring for and coping with Prickles who grows more persnickety by the day.

BJPricklesPatio

We have gone for our annual check ups. We have gathered numerous sweaty tubs of carobs. We have picked and consumed a great many plums and figs. I have tightened my belt by a (w)hole notch and seen the last of Ono's memorial bottle of Talisker whisky. (I am tempted to make an early investment in a bottle of Prickles memorial whisky, more to survive him than to remember him!)

loppers

On a visit the hardware shop in Benafim I was astonished to see (attached to a board behind the counter) the pair of expensive loppers that I had lost some months earlier. They had toppled off the back of the tractor when I hit a bump, unbeknown to me - a cause of much subsequent distress. It seems that the shop owner had come across them on the road and taken them home in the hope that the owner might well recognise them - as indeed the owner did. It quite made my day.

Tomahawk2

One evening we joined the Cusacks at the Hamburgo for a meal distinguished by the arrival at the table of a hunk of beef known as a tomahawk, sufficient to feed the five thousand. That's Daniela, the waitress, preparing to carve it. Diners at adjacent tables were as impressed as we were. (OK, that's enough accomplishments for one week!)

TBbrianNancy2
BRIAN & NANCY: APRIL 2018 VISIT
This coming Monday evening Nancy and Brian, Barbara's former NBC colleagues, are due down here for ten days to take care of the ranch. We'll spend a couple of days going through the ropes with them before handing over the reins and heading to Madeira for a week.

L&Lgarden

Also on the road are Llewellyn and Lucia who have sold their London home and are relocating - dogs and all - to Lisbon.

L

Lucia, whose job entails frequent travels, will continue to work for her employer, just from a different base. The couple are Portugal enthusiasts and frequent visitors to the country.

PatioMoon

So there, my time is up. Under the circumstances there will be no blog this coming week. Back in October.

FIM



No comments:

Blog Archive