Stats

Monday, July 01, 2019

Letter from Espargal: 30 June 2019

HospitalStockings

I've been tied up for a few weeks, one way and another. Come to think of it, more tied down than tied up. So forgive a medical theme and a belated blog. The neurosurgeon I've been consulting for years suggested that back surgery might alleviate a seriously unpleasant episode of sciatica. And I was at a stage when I was ready to try anything.

Scar

It turned out to be a much bigger operation than I anticipated but by the feel of things she did a good job.

TBhospital

I had barely been discharged when I went down with something else equally painful. It was diagnosed as a blood-clot on the lung, a common consequence of surgery. So back into hospital I went.

BJhospital

Two days' bed confinement proved to be tough going, to say nothing of being treated as a human pin cushion. Kindly family and neighbours brought Barbara to see me each day.

HospitalView

Once allowed up, I'd pace the corridor and watch the comings and goings from the windows at either end.

TBminiRecliner

Now I'm home for a second time and I can't tell you how good it feels - albeit under strict orders to take it easy for a few weeks.

JackOnCouch

The dogs let me know how much they had missed me. (No, the photo lies!) They went berserk.

ChrisAnd Family

I was back on my feet in time to welcome Barbara's nephew and family from Cape Town, who were our hosts in Canada and are now staying with us for a few days.

ChrisJaneDave

They are good walkers and good fun.

SlavicRecliners

In preparation for their arrival, Slavic pressure-washed the sunbeds. What a difference!

CasaNadaInterior-001

And we helped Barbara spruce up Casa Nada for the boys.

MoonClouds

Our days are warm (but not torrid) and our evenings perfect for light meals and conversations around the patio table.

BobbyMello-003

Where we've been watching the deepening romance between Bobby and Mello. It's ever so sweet.

JackAtEase

Life's good again. A couple of spells in hospital serve to deepen one's appreciation of so much that is easily taken for granted.

Sunset

Although Barbara reproaches me if I so much as lift a finger, I feel fine and am rapidly regaining my strength. One way and another, I'm a pretty lucky guy.











No comments:

Blog Archive