Stats

Friday, June 01, 2018

Letter from Espargal: 1 June 2018

DawnFriday
DAWN FRIDAY
This week has been marked by more than the usual number of the little frustrations and upsets that are an inevitable part of life. I'm aware that an unfrustrated life might itself become deeply frustrating as one always succeeded effortlessly in everything, nothing presented a challenge and one eventually died of boredom or euthanasia. So I suppose we should be grateful for our frustrations.

SlavicFire
The week started smoothly enough. Slavic and I found ourselves doing more burning, a task that we think we have now completed, at least for this year. We've been concentrating our attentions on trees near the house, both to meet the new wildfire legislation and for cosmetic reasons. Most of them were overgrown, having enjoyed little or no attention for years. I should add that we have hundreds of trees of all varieties, shapes and sizes. Although I wouldn't call myself a tree hugger, I'm certainly a tree enthusiast.

SlavicHedge

Trees aside, our main focus has been the garden as the exuberant growth of a damp spring droops and browns in early summer. The hedge that you see bordering the entrance was originally three distinct varieties of plant but the whole thing is now completely intertwined as well as invaded by the adjacent morning glory. Not that the composition of the hedge presented a problem; it just needed cutting back.

GardenRocksFlowers

Barbara has once again put long hours into the garden, weeding, trimming, clearing and re-exposing the rock pavement around the pomegranate trees that had been completely overtaken by creepers. In truth the garden is looking glorious, not yet tempered by summer's heat. Late May has been unusually cool, ideal weather for gardening. When a sun-loving friend complained about it, I urged him not to fiddle. I'm all in favour of cool while it lasts. Summer will be torrid enough when it comes.

SupperIdalecio

We were guests one evening of our neighbours, Idalecio and Natalya, pictured here with Idalecio's son, Eduardo. We supped on Idalecio's barbecued fish, with his home-grown greens and dried fruit, and we marvelled at the speed at which his fruit trees grew.

Larkspur
LARKSPURS - NOW EXPLODING IN THE PARK
Monday's post brought a letter from a bank informing us that our account there had been frozen as there had been no movements on it for some considerable period. That meant phoning the bank to unfreeze it and going through the interminable security process. While I understand only too well the necessity for bankers to be cautious, the process is a right royal pain.

StillLife
STILL LIFE
Tuesday the car started making a funny noise - a most unsettling intermittent clattering. I stopped at Vitor's garage for advice. "It sounds like something loose on the belt", he informed me, pointing to the belt in question. I thought it was just for the alternator but it apparently drives the water pump, air conditioning, power steering and much else as it weaves its way through the engine compartment - in short, a critical belt. The car has been booked in for urgent attention.

WildFlowers
CLEONIA LUSITANICA: GROWING WILD
Also on Tuesday, Leroy Merlin delivered a bulky flat-pack parcel containing a garden storage cupboard. I'll skip over the multiple phone calls to the delivery truck driver who had never heard of Espargal and who didn't have access to a GPS or a map. I eventually met him down at the village square on my tractor.

GardenCupboard

On Wednesday I set about assembling it with the assistance of the directions, designed as ever to be impenetrable. The cupboard was not cooperative. It resisted my efforts at every turn while the wind did its best to blow the assembly off the patio table. Parts that were meant to snap into place scorned my efforts. Fiddly screws leapt from their holes and hid amongst the cobbles. After a sweaty bad-tempered hour I won the battle but not without a few scars.

GardenCupboardOpen

The cupboard is intended to store (and especially to hide) the several bags of dog food that have long found refuge on the patio. These bags were handily placed for daily dipping into - my job! Jones, who is more concerned with appearances, prefers them to be out of sight, particularly as we prepare for the arrival of guests this coming week.

GardenCupboardCobbles

One guest currently with us is Poppy, the little dog belonging to neighbours who are away. Poppy has been mixing with our lot for years and is no trouble at all. She joins us on our twice-daily walks although Jonesy keeps her on a lead. Speaking of which, Dougal, the missing Airedale, has returned home after several days' absence. Much relief all round!

TBdogTreats-001
POPPY, ON THE STEP BELOW ME
For some time the UK satellite audio and picture quality has been playing up, muting the sound at critical junctures and distorting people's faces. The quality seemed to improve briefly after I had trimmed the branches of trees that might have been blocking the signal. But then it deteriorated again and finally packed up completely. The technician who set the system up is absent this week. I've asked him to call asap on his return.

TBnoSignal
NO SIGNAL
The final source of my frustration has been my fluctuating link to the internet. Several times a week my desktop computer disconnects me from the router for no reason that I can discern and refuses to reconnect. When I try, it informs me either that the wifi is turned off or the default gateway is not available. I gather that the problem is well known.  It takes 10 to 15 minutes of fiddling around and reboots to restore the link. Time for a word with Inforomba!

YellowPlant
DEADLY CARROT: THAPSIA VILLOSA IN SEED
Somewhere in the course of the week I met our Swedish neighbour Annchen and her visiting son, Pontus, down at Armenio's museum. Although many of the exhibits speak for themselves, a little neighbourly translating goes a long way. Of late Armenio has been delighted to entertain several groups from the tourist jeeps that come driving through the village. His visitor's book bears their tributes in half a dozen languages.

AnchennPontusArmenio

This final shot was taken on a full moon evening at Faro beach, where we dined after fetching friends from the airport. Prickles and I had gone for a walk along the paving after supper. When I looked up, I beheld the orb in its glory as billions of my fellow creatures have done before me. It gave a warm glow to a chilly evening. I might add that I continue on the straight and narrow. Eight days on the wagon. Got to get back into those jeans!

MoonLights-001

No comments:

Blog Archive