Stats

Friday, June 08, 2018

Letter from Espargal: 8 June 2018

VillageSky
ANOTHER DAY DAWNS
This past week has had its ups and downs. The main up was Slavic at the top of the extension ladder on Saturday morning while I was down looking up and clutching the base in some concern. He had assured me that he thought he might be able to accomplish what I had earlier failed to do - to reach the broken cable to the TV-dish-LNB, unscrew the fitting and re-attach it. This required him to lean over precariously, which is why I was a bit anxious. It was a long way down.

TVdishes

We had earlier gone over to neighbours in the tractor to borrow their scaffolding, which I thought would be necessary. In the event, Slavic was successful. We got our TV back and the neighbours their scaffolding. I have no pictures of Slavic's performance at the top of the ladder as my focus was entirely on his safety and his likely success.

SlavicAtFire

In the afternoon he got on with (the endless round of) strimming and other tasks while we took ourselves to Benafim's monthly street market. We always manage to come home with a bag of goodies (mainly edible) and at least one plant.

BobbyLarkspurs
BOBBY & LARKSPURS IN THE PARK
The affair is a lot more sociable than commercial but then that's true of most such affairs. There's an elderly couple in the house visible at the bottom of the road, whose daily entertainment is to make themselves comfortable on chairs on the pavement and watch the world go by. Contentment, as I've often reflected, is all about expectations.

BJfeiraBenafim

Sunday: Returning from brunch I saw what I thought was a branch lying in the road fairly close to home. But when it slithered off into the undergrowth at our approach, it left us in no doubt. It was one of the biggest snakes I've seen around these parts and the first this season. However, as I've remarked before, Portuguese snakes are shy, unthreatening critters that do us no harm.

Snake

Monday brought what turned out to be my last English lesson of the year although the Senior University doesn't close its doors for the summer break until the end of this coming week.  I had already informed all concerned that I'd be absent next Monday when we'll have family from South Africa with us. I offered to arrange an additional lesson but it didn't work out. So I bade my class farewell and they presented me with a flower attached to a gift and a card - all much appreciated. (Teachers, I might add, give their services free!)

TBGiftPen

Monday evening I took the tractor down to Vitor's workshop to be serviced. His proximity, skills and thoroughness are much appreciated; the nearest alternative workshop is miles away. While he was at work on the tractor, I walked back home to fetch the car, which I left with him for attention the following day. He'd already ordered parts to cure the clattering that I reported last week.

BlackCatRock
BRAVEHEART, UP AT THE SUMMIT WITH JONES
Tuesday, after a short exchange of messages with my computer guru, I downloaded the latest drivers to my networking files in a bid to cure the occasional router drop-out I've been suffering. It seems to have helped. I've lost the link only once since then - and easily restored it.

BarriOnMat

Tuesday evening Vitor returned the car - and the motor evidently still clattered. He emerged from it with a puzzled look, clutching the part which was thought to be causing the problem and which he'd brought back to show me. He had tested the engine at length after replacing it, he assured me, and there'd been no further noise - until he returned the car.

RedBlueFlowersGarden

I believe him. The noise was intermittent. So back the car goes next week for further attention. I should add that the part he'd removed showed obvious signs of wear and needed to be replaced. It just wasn't the sole culprit.

LeroyInterior

Wednesday we visited the huge new Leroy Merlin hardware store at the Mar shopping complex that's arisen between Loule and Faro. Barbara wanted a door closer to keep the pantry door shut. As on previous occasions, I was impressed by the number of staff, their helpfulness and their expertise. A young lady stocking items on the shelves nearby told me that the model I'd selected was intended for heavy doors and she recommended a much lighter and cheaper item in its place. I was pleased to take her advice.

SunnyLandscapeRoad

Thursday morning I listened to a discussion of ancient Persian history  on BBC Radio-4 as we walked the hills. The audio from the phone in my shirt pocket, with just occasional buffering, is perfectly clear. In the evenings I select the 30-minute news roundup. Half way round the circuit I meet Jones who is coming from the other direction, led by Poppy who is eager for the treat in my pocket.

PoppyGradd

Poppy returns home this evening when her owners get back from the UK. This separate walking arrangement has arisen from the need for Barbara to take the lame Prickles on a short private outing before she sets out to join the rest of us.

PricklesPissing

Prickles, small as he is, is not a dog to be ignored. He either gets his own way or he barks piercingly and incessantly - sometimes in the middle of the night when his blanket has come off and he wants to be covered again. He's lucky we love him.

PricksCovered

Thursday lunchtime the dogs barked, a van drew up and a courier handed over the latest batch of DVDs from Amazon - some Jones's choice and some mine. She is not a fan of action films.

MovieDVDs

As often as not she will sit down to watch the start before deciding that it's not her scene and taking herself to bed. Sometimes, knowing she won't be interested,  I simply watch at my desk. I was a bit underwhelmed by both the latest Bladerunner and Planet of the Apes productions.

MiniSnoozingSun

I'm short of photos this week. I've asked Jones for more of her flowers. The climbing rose is simply glorious. For the rest, it's cats, dogs and clouds - as usual.

RosesGarden











No comments:

Blog Archive