Stats

Friday, July 06, 2018

Letter from Espargal: 6 July 2018

HoleInTheSky
HOLE IN THE SKY
I have this week only such trifles to relate as may entertain the idle and such photos as may please discriminating  horticulturalists . Occasional ventures into the garden apart, it's been a story  of digressions, diversions and distractions. The principal distraction, need I say it, is the football that has commanded the TV screen afternoon and evening. Indeed, Barbara wondered how I was going to cope with two footless days.

Pendant

One such trifle was the filigree pendant that I bought for Barbara (who turns something or other in a few days) while passing through Faro airport en route to the UK. Coming home, I carefully separated the pendant from other small gifts intended to mark my return. Then, once she was safely in bed, I sought it to put away.  No luck! The pendant had disappeared. The following day I came across it in the pocket of my newly washed shirt - fortunately, none the worse for wear. So I confessed my ruse and presented it early.

GardenWatch

Another Jones acquisition is a new (Lidl) "gardening" watch to replace the old one, now defunct, pictured above. The new one, allegedly made in Germany, looks much the same, not that its appearance is important. What struck me is the price - €5.00 - of which 23% is VAT. So, assuming that its watches are not loss-leaders, Lidl somehow makes a profit selling timepieces containing quartz movements and batteries for the price of a cup of coffee at the airport. I'd love to see the breakdown.

Clouds rolling in

Friday afternoon clouds came rolling in and overnight we had marvellous soaking rains - all of 20mm. Rain late in June is rare in these parts. The only downside was a squelchy walk on Saturday morning - a price we gladly paid.

dampSucculent
DAMP SUCCULENT
Also on Saturday, not for the first time, Jones drew my attention to the growing noise coming from the washing machine. (We'd already been in touch twice with the suppliers who'd promised to call back!) I opened the pantry door to hear an alarming clattering from its interior. We turned the machine off and moved the contents to the old washing machine in Casa Nada. A little googling pointed to worn drum bearings. When I visited the shop to remonstrate, they apologised, saying their technician was ill.

succulents

Back to football: Monday's game between Japan and Belgium was one of the best I've seen. Tuesday's between England and Colombia was one of the filthiest. Those Colombians are something else, talented actors given equally to histrionic agonies and openly fouling their opponents. Colombia is off our itinerary.

Apolonia_B

Wednesday afternoon is reserved for Natasha. We stay out of her way as she moves furniture, mops floors and gets into corners with the vacuum cleaner. She showed us pictures that had been taken of her in full Russian regalia at a local folk festival.

NatashaPopularSaintsFestival
NATASHA AT THE "POPULAR SAINTS" PARADE
Barbara suggested that we try Apolonia's newly refurbished cafe in Almancil for a light lunch. Apolonia, for any not familiar with it, is a small chain of smart Portuguese supermarkets catering mainly for expat tastes and purses. If you are interested in exotic cars, Apolonia's carpark is the place to go.  We approved the extended cafe (smoked salmon salad for me, mixed-cereal roll for Barbara) although we were disappointed to see none of the old faces among the staff.

TBdogs

I might add that I continue on the belt-tightening straight and narrow with modest gains - or should that be losses - to show for my efforts. It's a case of keeping one's eyes on the prize rather than on the beckoning island malt in the liquor cabinet. So far so good.

MorningGloryPetal
MORNING GLORY - A RELENTLESS INVADER
Wednesday evening Ian called to say that Anne's cremation was to take place three weeks hence and that he'd be grateful if I could assist. Much as I dislike Ryanair (which I've so far avoided), it offers suitable flights to the nearby Stansted airport. I shall have to grin and bear it.

Hollyhock
HOLLYHOCK
Barri has tummy troubles again; she's restless with constant burping and muzzle licking. We didn't get much sleep as we - mainly Barbara - sought to calm her overnight. Thursday morning, along with some bread and butter, brought a great improvement and saved us a visit to the vet. Instead we caught up with friends at the Leroy Merlin superstore on the far side of Loule. Among other things the store boasts a delightful cafe overlooking the MAR shopping complex and the sea.

agapanthus
ADOLESCENT AGAPANTHUS
On the way home Portuguese radio informed us that Ryanair cabin crews were planning a two-day strike over the period I'd booked to fly.  I couldn't find confirmation on the internet so I tried Ryanair's chat facility. What a long-winded, frustrating experience! The chat operator spent half her time looking for my booking reference. Eventually, after much confusion, we discovered that the "W" in the reference was two consecutive"V"s. The strike plans were later confirmed in the UK media. I sure hope that some compromise is reached.

Rosebud

Thursday evening. I dropped my trousers in the kitchen as I was preparing dog dinners to grasp the tick that was biting my bum. That was the last bum he bit. The air conditioning is to be serviced early on Friday.  After a welcome cool spell our temperatures are creeping creep up towards the 30s once again. My heat bumps are gathering strength. Jones continues to spend much of her day in the garden regardless. She and I have a 5 degree differential of comfort. Time she cast an eye over the blog!

CheckingBlog



No comments:

Blog Archive